Slow rsync

Guys:

    I've been using rsync to keep a CVS repository up to date.  My main cvs
repository/rsync server is a Redhat 7.3 box.  I have the following alias set
up on my cygwin side:

alias getcvs='rsync -avuz -e ssh --exclude-from="/home/matts/.rsync.ignore"
linux:cvs .'

When running this rsync command from a linux client, the "receiving file
list ..." portion of the sync takes less than 1 second to complete.  When
running the same rsync command from the latest cygwin release on a Windows
XP box, it takes > 30 minutes for the "receiving file list ..." portion to
complete.  Now I understand that Cygwin is inherently slower, but this seems
more like a bug to me.  I did note that the task manager showed the
associated ssh process eating up 99% of the cpu during this 30 minute
period. Has anyone else seen this behavior?
    For the record, I checked the FAQ before posting, and didn't see
anything relevant to this question.  I also made sure to turn OFF virus
protection, and I made sure I didn't have multiple copies of cygwin1.dll
floating around. I also tried the hacked rsync.exe referenced here:

Which also didn't work for me.  I tried the latest cygwin snapshot
(10/30/02), with no luck. Please also note that I have the CYGWIN environ
variable set to "nontsec".

thanks for any insight,
-Matt Smith