Re: setup.exe: keep

Micheal,

In Cygwin's Setup.exe, "keep" means retain the version currently installed. You don't really need to do anything to back up your old or new versions, since unless you go in an clean house, you will accumulate the tarball package files (the *.tar.bz2 files in the per-mirror cache area under the directory you specified as the "Local Package Directory" page of the Cygwin installer).

What does require manual effort (or Michael Chase's Perl cleanup programs) is getting rid of the ever-growing archive of package tarballs. See <http://home.ix.netcom.com/~mchase/zip/> for Michael's utilities.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA