Re: gawk not taking redirected input under command.com

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 10:42:42AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 07:14:26AM -0700, Barry Buchbinder wrote:
>>C:\> gawk '{print $0 "yz" }' < autoexec.bat
>>showed that what was happening was that the "yz" was *overwriting* the
>>beginning of the line.
>
>So, to summarize, this is a standard CRLF problem.  If you look at the
>output in od or less you can see what is going on.
>
>I don't know why this version of gawk is having CRLF problems.  I'll
>check to see if this is a cygwin problem or a gawk problem but I suspect
>it is a gawk problem.

I've uploaded a new "exp" version of gawk.  This version understands the
BINMODE variable setting which, AFAICT, was not really supported in gawk
before.

This won't necessarily solve the above problem however.  It just allows
one to force BINMODE if required.  Unfortunately, the BINMODE setting is
either "use the default" or "read files in binary".  The default is
currently based on the mount mode, unfortunately.

So far, my above assertion that this was going to be a gawk problem
seems to be wrong.  I think I will need to work around some automode
problems in the dll itself.

cgf