Re: limit for # of items created with "new" ?

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 07:33:03PM -0700, Randall R Schulz wrote:
>At 19:10 2002-09-24, you wrote:
>>On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 07:06:22PM -0700, Randall R Schulz wrote:
>>>Hans,

>>>If I understand correctly, all Cygwin app memory comes out of a single
>>pool
>>>(hence the Cygwin heap size registry entry), so a proper accounting of
>>>available memory must take the other concurrently executing Cygwin
>>>applications into account.
>>
>>Sorry.  This isn't correct.  Each application gets its own fixed-size heap.
>>The heap isn't shared between applications.
>
>Chris,
>
>No. I'm the one who's sorry for posting disinformation.

Well, that's a pretty rare event, so I think you can be excused, just
this once.  :-)

I think what may be confusing in this case is that cygwin's shared
memory region is getting corrupted.  I think it's due to the fact that
something is walking off the end of the heap.  I don't know why an
exception isn't being thrown though.

FWIW, the next version of cygwin may actually be able to deal with this
scenario a little better.  It uses Doug Lea's malloc package and may be
able to allocate memory using mmap.  I haven't actually tried this
scenario yet but if anyone wants to try a recent snapshot, it might be
informative.

cgf