Re: Windows .NET Server RC1 and cygwin not working together??

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 01:05:44AM -0500, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:

>> >Windows isn't done until Cygwin won't run :-)
>>
>> That seems to be the case with Windows releases since W2K.
>>
>> cgf
>
>Don't put it past them for a *second*.  Now I'm not your typical "M$ hater" that
>thinks its "k3w1" to "dis" Microsoft at every opportunity; I've been to Hell
>(i.e. Windows Kernel Mode) and (barely) back, and I can say without equivocation
>that such freakshows have only two causes:
>
>1.  Complete incompetence.
>2.  Intentional nefarious designs.
>
>We know #1 is not true about MS; when they want to, they can get things right
>(or thereabouts).  And we know that Unix-on-Windows is not percieved as
>conducive to whatever MS's "Final Solution" plans are; if it were, Window's
>"POSIX subsystem" would be more than a joke.  QED, we are left with #2.

I think it's more that cygwin tries to do things with the Windows API
that are clearly undocumented and boundary conditions.  For instance,
there is no guarantee that fork() should work correctly given the magic
(aka kludge) involved.  So, it is within Microsoft's rights to change
whatever they want in this regard and Cygwin just has to play catchup;
assuming it's possible to do so.

cgf