Re: Cygwin crashes XP Pro

Thomas Dewez wrote:

Hi there,

I am totally baffled by this problem and would appreciate any help. I have been experiencing constant crashes of XP Pro on a laptop Compaq Presario 2700 (intel 1GHz) running Cygwin 1.3.12-4.

The most noticeable symptom of an imminent crash is the fan speeding up. The crash produces a Blue Screen of Death with error 0x96 or error 0xA (writing operation). I have checked the Microsoft knowledge base to troubleshoot but none of the explanations proved relevant (as far as I could see).

I can use cygwin for a long time if I am not asking it to perform a CPU intensive task. However as soon as the task becomes too CPU intensive, the fan starts speeding up and will eventually crash. The time between the fan speeding up and a crash is variable and can last a few hours if the CPU demand slows down.

I observed another symptom with the Task Manager. The "System" process takes over 90% of the CPU power when the fan starts speeding up. I tried compiling GRASS GIS yesterday and whilst XP crashed after a while of executing the make command and outputing the result on the screen, it remained perfectly intact if I directed the output to a log file. Is this a sign of a poor interaction between XP and Cygwin? It looks as though the memory cannot be released and the system dies when the memory is filled up (I have 512Mb of RAM and 1350Mb of page file).

Any hint would be most appreciated
Sounds like a hardware problem to me.