XEmacs on cygwin [Was: Re: missing file FOO.dll]

Nicholas Wourms wrote:

> Is there a fundemental reason (now) why the xemacs people refuse to merge
> their cygwin packages into the official cygwin tree?

Yep.  #1) They don't want to do it.  (Understand that XEmacs consists of
about 100 different packages -- all of the lisp subpackages are
shipped/installed separately.  The XEmacs folks even created their own
fork of our setup.exe to better serve their needs).  #2) We don't want
to do it -- at least, nobody has volunteered to do so.

The obvious person to handle that -- since he's handling the cygwin port
of XEmacs that xemacs.org ships -- is Andy Piper.  However, I doubt he
wants to surrender his current freedom (as absolute controller of the
windows CVS branch, the native windows package, and the cygwin/windows
package) and become subject to the vicissitudes of cygwin-apps...

Worse, suppose a third party decided to package a
cygwin-setup-installable version of XEmacs, even though Andy, the
official maintainer of all things Windows/XEamcs, hypothethically
refused to do so and would probably object to undercutting his own
cygwin-XEmacs.

This is a recipe for trouble; let this sleeping dog lie.

> Seems like this
> would be a nice package to have, espcially now that cygwin-xfree has been
> merged.  Is xemacs one of those packages that could be setup to act like
> rxvt, where there is  cygwin-console, mingw, and X11 functionality?

Nope.  You can have
   "native" build, with console and MSwindows GUI
   "native" build, with console and GTK(MSwindows version) GUI (**)
   cygiwn build, with console and MSwindows GUI
   cygwin build, with console and X GUI
   cygwin build, with console and GTK(X version) GUI (*)
   cygwin build, with console and GTK(MSwindows version) GUI (**)
But you can't mix them, at least not yet.

(*) possible, although I don't believe it has been tested.  You still
need an cygwin, X, build of gtk++ etc...
(**) theoretically possible, but I doubt much work has gone into it.
These configure options probably don't even compile.  Maybe by gtk-3.0
and XEmacs 28.2 ?

> recall you mentioning it as an example in your HFS thread awhile back.  If
> so I think this package would definitely benifit many in the emacs camp
> (unfortunately I am "vi" person myself ;P).

There's already a cygwin package of MicroEmacs avialable in
setup-compatible form, IIRC.  You have to add a "non-mirror" downloac
location to your download list, tho -- check the archives for more info.

>  Considering the xemacs ppl
> aren't on the same page, maybe it is about time we get them on the same
> page.  I'm sure all that is required is a few friendly inquiries from the
> cygwin maintainers...

Perhaps not.  There's a certain amount of bad blood there...I've got
friendly relations on "both sides" -- but I don't want to wade into this
particular swamp.

A compromise position would be for some aspiring maintainer to provide
an "XEmacs-X" package for cygwin, which would be an X-based (GTK-based?)
  cygwin build of XEmacs.  That way, it would not conflict with the
xemacs.org version -- until they figure out how to get both (all three?)
GUIs to coexist in the same binary, which is probably VERY low priority.
Also, a cygwin-X-Xeamcs build would probably not offend Hrvoje, Andy, et
al...

However, having two different "official" cygwin XEmacsen -- provided by
different maintainers -- is again a recipe for trouble, and lots of
confused and repetitive questions on BOTH lists...

--Chuck