Re: setup 2.194.2.24: Bug (?) in downloading from internet

Daniele wrote in
<Pine.A41.3.96.1020428003038.145792A-100000@egeo.unipg.it>
in gmane.os.cygwin on Sun, 28 Apr 2002 00:44:25 +0200 (MDT):

> After dutifully reading the mailing list discussion on the subject,
> I would like to point out that this behavior - redownloading uninstalled
> packages - was absent
> in previous versions of setup. In my humble opinion, the downloaded
> packages and the installed packages should be treated independently by
> setup for the simple reason that you may download a set of packages for
> installing on multiple machines, and install a subset of it on the
> downloading machine. In other words should be:
> download from internet: compares repository with packages
> install from internet:  compares repository with installation
> install from local:     comapres packages with installation
> that is, previous behaviour.

Every version of setup.exe I've used exhibits this annoying behaviour
but them I'm new here.

I agree with Daniele. I install different subsets of the packages on
several machines. I also like to keep a copy of the most up-to-date
versions of packages that I don't currently use on any of them, in
case I need them where I've no (or poor) access to the 'Net.

Doing this is something of a headache and requires manual checking in
the local package directory (now even more difficult because of its
fragmented nature even when mitigated by clean_setup.pl - thanks
Michael) and in the setup.exe list.

--
Sam Edge