This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
RE: Compliance with the GPL (cygwin)
- From: "Robert Collins" <robert dot collins at itdomain dot com dot au>
- To: "Herbert Valerio Riedel" <hvr at hvrlab dot org>,"Charles Wilson" <cwilson at ece dot gatech dot edu>
- Cc: <cygwin at cygwin dot com>,<cdrdao-devel at lists dot sourceforge dot net>,<delphi dot stuff at vcdhelp dot com>
- Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 21:45:56 +1000
- Subject: RE: Compliance with the GPL (cygwin)
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Herbert Valerio Riedel [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
> Sent: Saturday, April 13, 2002 7:17 PM
> > 4) mention the availability of the source code for libraries
> > used to create their windows port somewhere on their
> > webpage (not strictly necessary, but what's the point of
> > 1 -- 3 if you don't advertise it?)
Just a note (for Chuck). I'm pretty sure that it is a corollary of the
GPL that the source be advertised - along with the specific licence
> > VCDImager project: seems mostly compliant; need a reminder to
> > include also OTHER source code (zlib, libxml)
> will do so;
> btw, I do this just for the unstable series; as soon as the official
> stable series come out, they'll lack the .dll's
> btw2: libxml2 was provided in source, I just happen to have deleted it
> by accident
I wonder if you are aware that cygwin has libxml2 in the distribution
now - you can link to the .dll for your unstable series as well, should
> ps: just wondering, which personal interest do you have, that others
> (we) comply to the terms? -- plz don't see this question as personal
> attack or something alike.
I can't speak for Chuck, but I think he's got a similar feeling to me.
My interest in seeing the GPL followed is threefold.
1) If the GPL loses the 'threat' power it has now, it will take a test
case to reinstate that.
2) In my opinion it's the Right Thing to do - to make the source
directly available instead of hoping that someone else has it available.
3) While the GPL is not perfect it's the licence I choose to do the bulk
of my development under, and I've contributed quite a few hours of
'free' work to Cygwin - I don't like to see that abused without credit
I really appreciate your quick and friendly response to Chucks email
though - good one!
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting: http://cygwin.com/bugs.html