login account is "Administrator" not "username"

I am logged in as user "jdoe" and have administrator rights on a WinNT box.
I installed the most recent stable cygwin on this box (logged in as user
"jdoe"), usable for "all".

However, the cygwin shell tells me:
~ $ whoami
Administrator

and gives me the following environment variable settings:
USER=Administrator
USERNAME=jdoe

and consequently:
~ $ pwd
/home/Administrator

Obviously cygwin logs me in as "Administrator" instead of "jdoe", even
though I logged in as user jdoe under WinNT
(USERNAME=jdoe in a DOS box).
Is there a way to change/avoid this? I tried installing cygwin as "usable
only for me" but it's just the same.
I've tried the registry, FAQ and mailing list archives to no avail.

A problem arises when I use cvs for example, as it gets my username from the
env variable USER and all my files get checked in from user "Administrator"
as opposed to "jdoe". I could of course hack around this, but maybe there is
a simpler solution?

Thanks for any help,
Michael