Too many open files

I attempted to find an answer to this online and in archives, but had no
success.  I have a large make file with thousands of files which failed at
the linking step.  On restarting the make after changing the link settings I
discovered the make file halted with "Too many open files".

I am running the latest version of cygwin 1.3.9 with all other tools updated
on a Windows 2000 (Build 2195: Service Pack 2) machine.  The files being ran
through in the makefile are on a Windows NT machine on a small network.  I
checked the NT machine network resources and found that over 2000 files were
open for read by the machine running make.  Even after make is finished the
files continue to stay open.  Even after closing cygwin.

Is this a problem in how make works?  Does cygwin keep file handles openned
and cached?  Anyone got any idea whats going on?  Anyone experienced the
same problem?

Thanks.
David.