Re: CVS with pserver: Binary files get corrupted

Holger Spielmann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> due to company policy, I have to use Windows in my current project, so
> I started using Cygwin to get a halfway decent environment.
>
> I successfully managed to set up a CVS pserver on Cygwin. In our
> project, we want to add some JAR files to the CVS, so the frameworks
> API (here: Cocoon) can be assured to be on the same revision for all
> developers.
>
> But the jars arrive garbled in the repository, despite I added them
> with the -kb option. First I thought it might be related to the text
> mode I used for mounting the file systems, but transferring the
> repository didn't change anything, I even tried to import a new
> project from scratch.

The repository itself must be on a binary (unix) mounted drive -- within
the conext of the service!  Since you are probably starting the pserver
daemon from inetd, which is started under the *SYSTEM* user.  It
(probably) doesn't matter where the checked-out or original-pre-import
sources are, but the repository must be on a unix mount.

Try starting from scratch:

On repository machine:
   mount -b -s D:\my-repository /repository
(-s insures that this is a whole-system mount, so even the SYSTEM user
will see it)

export CVSROOT=/repository
cvs init

And then try importing a new project.

--Chuck

[not snipped so your entire message appears in the correct mailing list archives]