Re: gcc broken in 1.3.9 ?

Hi Phil,

I don't mean to imply that you aren't capable or experienced with Cygwin.
I do mean to point out that setup.exe is supposed to install binutils
automatically if you install gcc.  Since Pavel suggested that this may
be your problem, I wanted to make sure that the general public reading
this list did not believe that setup didn't understand package
dependencies (which it does).  If you're having a problem here (it sounds
like you're not), it's a bug and we need to get more information about
this.

Pavel and I both felt that the information you gave to the list on this
matter was insufficient to help you diagnose the problem at your end.  As
I said, setup.exe will install binutils and anything else it needs unless
you tell it to do otherwise.  Without more information, I certainly can't
be sure of what you did and how you did it.  That was the basis for my
comments about your installation.

With the slightly more detailed information you provided in your response,
I can say a couple of things.  First, if you skipped nothing, then I'm
assuming you installed with setup.exe and that you now have gcc and
binutils installed.  If it doesn't work for you, it may well be that
you had previously set some environment for gcc, which worked fine with
the old installation, but which confuses the new.  You might want to check
into that.  In addition, looking at the output of cygcheck -s -r -v may
prove helpful.  In particular, I notice you mentioned below that you
previously had a cygwin1.dll in your /winnt directory.  This is a
non-standard place to install this DLL.  setup.exe won't put it there.
If you want to be sure your custom installation isn't causing you problems,
you need to undo all the changes you did and reinstall using setup.exe in
the way it installs things.  If you tinker with file locations manually
after the install, that's your prerogative but the list really can't help
you debug that installation.  The most that can be said is 'delete all the
current stuff and reinstall again', which is pretty much what I've been
saying.  That's all I was trying to get across.

Hope that helps clarify things,