This is the mail archive of the mailing list for the Cygwin project.

Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Confused by gettext on cygwin

Linus Tolke wrote:

> Hello Chuck!
> Thanks for taking this further. I now succeeded in building my project i.e.
> the "make" and "make dist" works. I can even unpack the distribution and
> build.
> I am still not satisfied though. ;-)
> Here is the new and more sofisticated problem.
> 1. I build my project (make)
> 2. I build the distribution of my project (make dist)
> 3. I move the distribution (file tty-client-0.13.alfa.7.tar.gz) to a Solaris
> 2.7 system.
> 4. I unpack and run configure on the Solaris 2.7 system.
> 5. When I run make on the Solaris system it fails in the intl directory.
> I interpret this to mean that the version of gettext provided by cygwin is
> not as portable as it should be. Remember that this worked before I moved my
> development environment to cygwin/autoconf-2.
> Here is the error message that the compiler (linker) gives me:

> gcc -shared -Wl,--export-all-symbols -Wl,--out-implib=libintl.dll.a
> intl-compat.
> o bindtextdom.o dcgettext.o dgettext.o gettext.o finddomain.o loadmsgcat.o
> local
> ealias.o textdomain.o l10nflist.o explodename.o dcigettext.o dcngettext.o
> dngett
> ext.o ngettext.o plural.o localcharset.o -o cygintl-1.dll
> /usr/ccs/bin/ld: illegal option -- -
> /usr/ccs/bin/ld: illegal option -- -
> ld: warning: option -o appears more than once, first setting taken

Remember, the (now) current version of gettext for cygwin is only 
*partially* migrated over to libtool.  It looks as tho the parts that 
*aren't* are causing a problem on other platforms.  Therefore, the 
"full" correction to this problem will probably have to wait until:

a) we're happy with the current cygwin/libtool port
b) we get the nifty libtool changes pushed into the REAL libtool
c) we ensure that the REAL libtool (which includes our changes) works 
okay on cygwin
d) I *fully* re-libtoolize gettext using the new (REAL) libtool
e) We push the re-libtoolized version to the upstream gettext folks.

THEN, your problems should go away -- but as you can see, it'll be a 
long process.  I'm sorry, but shared libs on windows just plain suck.


Unsubscribe info:
Bug reporting:

Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]