From: Peter Buckley [mailto:peter.buckley@cportcorp.com]
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2001 4:58 PM
To: Wityk, Michael
Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'
Subject: Re: telnet installation problems

This is much more detailed, thank you.

Wityk, Michael wrote:

> I don't have that doc, /usr/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-x.x.x-README.

It looks like you downloaded inetutils on 11/28/2001, but they didn't
get installed. If you run setup again and select the inetutils-x.x.x
package to be installed, it should put telnet in /usr/bin/telnet.

There is also a cygwin-xfree mailing list that might be able to help you
with the xhost stuff, but hopefully the only problem is the missing
inetutils/telnet.

HTH,
Peter

> I'm reviewing the Cygwin/XFree86 User's Guide.
>
> I'm from an NT background so I'm expecting to go the the cygwin command
box
> and type 'telnet'.
>
> I've tried this next according to the users guide, what am I missing?
>
> $ ./xhost targetbox
> ./xhost:  unable to open display ""
>

> I'm trying to telnet according to page 16 and page 17 of the
Cygwin/XFree86
> User's Guide.
>
> Unsecure Telnet
> On your Windows machine:
> 1. Launch Cygwin/XFree86
> 2. In an X terminal type /usr/X11R6/bin/xhost remote_host_ip_address
> 3. In an X terminal type /usr/bin/telnet remote_host_ip_address. Use the
> explicit
> path to ensure that Cygwin's telnet is run instead of Microsoft's telnet;
> Microsoft's telnet will crash
> on startup when run from Cygwin/XFree86.
> 4. Login to your remote machine via your telnet session
> 5. In your telnet session type, DISPLAY=windows_host_ip_address:0.0
> 6. In your telnet session type, export DISPLAY
> 7. You can now launch remote X clients in your telnet session, for
example,
> xterm& will launch an
> xterm running on your remote host that will display on your Cygwin/XFree86
> screen.
> 8. Launch other remote clients in the same manner; I recommend starting
the
> remote clients in the
> background, by appending & to the command name, so that you don't have to
> open several telnet
> sessions.

Your mouse has moved.
Reboot now?  [OK]