Autotools

With the release of the new autotools build system I was under the
impression that with libtool, automake supported building dlls under cygwin.
I seem not to be able to do this, no dlls are produced and
despite --disable-static, I get .a & .la. I am able to build dlls manually
perfectly, and yet cannot do this using with automake??

Please advise me as the how I should go about fixing this.

TIA,

Stepahno