Re: Illegal User Error Attempting to Authenticate in sshd

Thanks for your quick response, Corinna.

  > A good way to debug problems in sshd when started as service is,
  > Use `-d' instead of `-D' as argument.

  I am using sshd's '-d' switch to dump the output quoted in my last
  message (please see last thread).

  > Another very important point is, check the permissions of the
  > /etc directory and the permissions of /etc/passwd, /etc/group
  > and /etc/ssh* overcarefully.  After an installation with setup,
  > the permissions are sometimes so that SYSTEM doesn't have
  > appropriate permissions on /etc or subsequent files as soon as
  > `ntsec' is used.  It's not necessary for SYSTEM to have write
  > access but read access should be given.  So try
  >
  >         chmod 755 /etc
  >         chmod 644 /etc/passwd /etc/group

  These perms are already correct, but attempting to chmod anything
  does not modify permissions. The command does not produce an error
  (and $? is 0), but no changes are made on the files. chown also
  fails in the same manner. All files are owned by whomever is logged
  in at the time (tried: Dave Pinsker and SYSTEM).

  I had attributed this to the fact that I'm running FAT32, vs. NTFS,
  and hence, do not have the extended set of permissions available --
  logical? I realize most implementations are probably on NTFS, but
  should there be any issues running on FAT32?

  Thanks,

  _Dave_
  davep@interaccess.com