This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Building Octave-2.1.35 using Cygwin-1.3.3-2
- From: "Billinghurst, David (CRTS)" <David dot Billinghurst at riotinto dot com>
- To: "'wdkirby at ix dot netcom dot com'" <wdkirby at ix dot netcom dot com>
- Cc: "'bug-octave at bevo dot che dot wisc dot edu'" <bug-octave at bevo dot che dot wisc dot edu>, "'cygwin at cygwin dot com'" <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 11:38:54 -0000
- Subject: Re: Building Octave-2.1.35 using Cygwin-1.3.3-2
You wrote that you had problems compiling octave-2.1.35 on cygwin, due to a
missing definition of _rl_clear_screen.
The problem is that _rl_clear_screen is "private" and is not exported in
cygreadline.dll. As you and I both found out, simply removing the leading
underscore is the "Wrong Thing".
There are a number of solutions to this problem, including:
a) building octave without readline support,
b) building your own dll with this symbol exported
c) using the static libreadline.a
d) finding a way to use rl_clear_screen
e) getting someone else to do (b) for you
Option (a) is easy as there is a configure option for this.
Option (c) is pretty easy.
Configure octave with "CFLAGS='-DREADLINE_STATIC -O'
Change -lreadline to /usr/lib/libreadline.a in Makeconf
The rest are left as an exercise.
(Mr) David Billinghurst
Comalco Research Centre
PO Box 316, Thomastown, Vic, Australia, 3074
Phone: +61 3 9469 0642
FAX: +61 3 9462 2700
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Bug reporting: http://cygwin.com/bugs.html