Re: new site for my ports is up

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 05:56:45PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
> My point was that the off-site versions should install into /usr/local
> (or /opt/ or whatever, just *NOT* /usr).  When you're ready to
> contribute them to the main dist, THEN (and only then) rebuild them to
> install into /usr and upload (to sourceware) as a test release.

Er, can you say why?

Over in RPM land, I have users telling me that they want the
/usr v /usr/local decision to be determined by whether something is
package managed (and thus uninstallable via rpm/setup), rather than
by whether it happens to come from the vendor.

So I get flamed for producing a .rpm that installs to /usr/local, and
am probably going to change to /usr because I think they're right.

Many of my dumb users want to run Cygwin programs from a DOS window.
So if I installed to /usr/local I would need to tell them to add two
directories (C:\Cygwin\bin & C:\Cygwin\usr\local\bin) to their Windows
PATH instead of one, increasing the scope for screwups.

Currently I produce a package for Cygwin setup.exe that installs to
/usr, and I'm about to start getting flamed for that too?  :-)

Having off-site packages install to /usr/local on Cygwin would certainly
show whether they were official or not (cf rpm -qi), but that information
is already pretty much available in /etc/setup/installed.db if off-site
people deliver their package tarballs to setup in a directory other than
"latest" or "contrib".

    John