Re: What does setup.exe do with a DOS console?

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 03:27:53PM -0500, GregHolmes@aol.com wrote:
>When I run setup.exe from the link at cygwin.com, right before the end
>of the installation it very rapidly pops up an msdos console which
>vanishes immediately, then the final OK dialog appears.

setup.exe creates a .bat file to do a couple of things like run mkpasswd
and/or mkgroup.  The .bat file executed as one of the last things that
setup.exe does.  So, that's what this flash is.

>This happens, at any rate, on the Win95 machine I use at work.  On the
>Win98 machine at home, I get the "This program uses MSDOS mode" prompt
>at that point, which I of course cancel out of.  So am I missing out on
>something that is supposed to happen at this point?  I still get the
>final "Installation complete" OK dialog.

As to why it fails for you in some cases, that is something you'll have
to figure out for yourself.  Use the sources.

I envy you the challenge and mystery of your coming voyage into
enlightenment.

cgf