Re: Setup use on win2k - a me too ...

Gareth Pearce wrote:

> Due to the fact that recompiling to latest cvs appears to have fixed the
> problem misteriously ... already ... I was not supprised that adding those
> lines produced
> site: ftp://planetmirror.com/pub/sourceware/cygwin
> get_url_to_string ftp://planetmirror.com/pub/sourceware/cygwin/setup.ini
> ftp > 220 PlanetMirror FTP server ready.
> FTP command is USER anonymous
> ftp > 331 Anonymous login ok, send your complete email address as your
> password.
> ftp > 230-
> ftp >   Welcome to the FTP archives at planetmirror.com.   You
> ftp >   can also access these via a web interface reachable from:
> ftp >
>
> notice that the log records the 220 before the USER...

This is so because there is a read just after the connect which is
logged

> the log from the time where it consumed memory evilly, it recorded x  as the
> first thing after the get_url_to_string...
>
> so I would guess that the bug stems previous to that...

IMO if the problem is triggereddepends on who compiled the
setup.exe. The pointers net_ftp_user and net_ftp_passwd are not
zeroed in the code so it's up to the compiler if these are
set to zero or just some random garbage. For example the MS compiler
sets all unitialized variables to zero if you're building debug
version of an app and leaves these as is if you're building release
unless you specify otherwise explicitly with an compiler option.