Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: vim-6.0.46-1

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 05:40:42PM -0400, Tyler Close wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >What a funny idea.
>
> Perhaps, but I am not imagining this behaviour. If you run the Cygwin
> /bin/vim.exe from an MS-DOS shell, with no .vimrc file, you will get two
> errors of the type:
>
> Cannot execute shell sh

Did you install the ash package?

> E79: Cannot expand wildcards
>
> If you use the /usr/share/vim/vim60/vimrc_example.vim file as your .vimrc,
> you get a multitude of these errors.
>
> With no .vimrc file, starting /bin/vim.exe from the bash shell causes the
> Cygwin window title to switch between VIM and bash a few times. Using the
> /usr/share/vim/vim60/vimrc_example.vim, the Cygwin window title changes a
> multitude of times.
>

> >- The .vimrc file does not start any subshell as long as there's no
> >   :sh commmand or such.
>
> Given these two sets of behaviour, it does not seem unreasonable to suppose
> that /bin/vim.exe is causing several shells to execute. I agree that this
> should not be happening, but it appears to be the case. I would appreciate
> it if you would attempt to verify my observations and diagnose the problem.

Sorry but I can't reproduce that.  Neither does the title change nor
does it show `sh' or `bash' at all (given I have set CYGWIN=...title...).

I have also substitutes my .vimrc by the vimrc_example.vim file you're
referring to.  Nothing happens.

I tried starting vim from tcsh, bash and even cmd but also to no avail.

> >- all vim script files (including .vimrc) must be in binary line
> >   ending mode.  Convert all CRLF to FL.
>
> Given that I just copied the file (/usr/share/vim/vim60/vimrc_example.vim)
> to my home directory and renamed it to .vimrc, I assume that the line
> termination is that desired by the program.

Did you actually test it?

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.