Re: key permission problem $CYGWIN=ntea, OPENSSH

"Colliver, Robert" wrote:

> After I set $CYGWIN=ntea I'm getting strange results chmod'ing files.
> Specifcally my .ssh/id_dsa private key file for openssh.  It needs to have
> -rw------- permissions, but I'm seeing this:
>
> $ export $CYGWIN=ntea
> $ chmod 600 id_dsa
> $ ls -l id_dsa
> -rw-r--r--    1 Administ None          736 Oct 29 13:05 id_dsa
>
> At which point SSH fails because it thinks the key file is world readable.
> So for grins I do this:
>
> $ export $CYGWIN=""
> $ chmod 600 id_dsa
> $ ls -l id_dsa
> -rw-r--r--    1 Administ None          736 Oct 29 13:05 id_dsa
>
> Now SSH is perfectly happy... But I can't figure out why.  Is the flat file
> that hold the extended attribute for "ntea" corrupted?

Is your disk NTFS?  If not, you are not able to take advantage of several
features like ntea and ntsec (the latter is what you should be using anyways).

Also, I have been advised to set the CYGWIN environment variable at the Windows
level (i.e. before starting CygWin.  It will provide more consistent results.

HTH

John

--
John Peacock