Re: qmail-1.03: any volunteers?!

Here's the begining of a simple mkfifo implementation for Cygwin.  I
did this about a year ago. I went so far as to get the paperwork
approved to let me sign this over to Cygnus. I tried to get some help
from this list on how to integrate it with Cygwin, but was met with
sufficiently rude and unhelpful responses that I abandoned the project
(I suspect this happens to quite a few folks who are interested in
contributing, but don't have the free time to devote to untangling the
Cygwin "kernel" source themselves. But I digress...)

You can't use Windows named pipes to implement UNIX fifos -- the
semantics are just too different.

Anyway, anyone who would like to try their hand at implementing fifos
may feel free to use this as a starting point.

I think Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> The fifo's is the only thing fast enough to get off 500000 mails a day on
> an old P90 box with 16MB RAM (only possible with linux:)!

> There are also named pipes at in windows, maybe they can be assimilated?
> (Are we Borg enough to assimilate?)

Ernest Friedman-Hill
Distributed Systems Research        Phone: (925) 294-2154
Org. 8920, MS 9012                  ejfried@ca.sandia.gov
PO Box 969                  http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov
Livermore, CA 94550