Re: rm - access violation not counted in W2k Professional

| >If rm command is used on file which Win32 labels as "access violation",
| >rm will not give any warnings, errors or even set the $?
| >
| >File is not removed. - correct - but it shuld give warning
| >
| >If I do the same in Explorer, a dialog pos up saying that some other
| >process is using the file/directory.
| >
| >Jari
|

| I don't understand your reference to "file which Win32 labels as 'access
| violation'" but it sounds to me like you're referring to a file which is
| opened for exclusive use by some other program which Cygwin's 'rm'

Yes.

| then tries to remove.  If this is the case, see from earlier today:
|
| http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-07/msg01774.html
|
| It covers the same topic in a different context.

I see. So the file is scheduled, but this certainly is not intuitive
and hits old time Unix user a bit.

| If you feel something else should be done here, provide a patch.  Keep
| in mind though that not everyone is trying to use 'rm' interactively
| though.

I really think that a warning message should definitely be in place
especially when $? does not indicate any more details.

Where can I get rm sources and I'll see if I can produce a patch.
Where do I send it?
Are there any guidelines for patch? (I use Emacs ChangeLog)

Jari