Re: cygz DLL missing from 1.3.2 distrib under win98

Michael J. Gourlay wrote:

>>>Hello,
>>>The cygz.dll file is missing from the latest distribution for win98.
>>>I downloaded and installed that today, and found this problem by running
>>>"ssh", which reported the missing DLL.
>>>

>> From your cygcheck output:
>>

>>>49k 2001/02/03 C:\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
>>>                  "cygz.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/2/3 13:35
>>>
>>--Chuck
>>

> I am not sure what you are trying to say by quoting the output of my
> run of cygcheck back to me, but I would guess that you doubt the
> veracity of my bug report.

Yep.  We get a lot of "bug reports" that are really operator error.
It's so common, that my first reaction is ALWAYS to check for PIBKAC
(Problem Is Between Keyboard And Chair) -- and I suspect that is the
initial reaction of most cygwin maintainers.  In fact, I suspect that is
the reaction of most maintainers of any large opensource project...

> I suspect you have not tested installing
> Cygwin from scratch on a machine that lacks "CYGZ.DLL".  The fact
> remains that the release of Cygwin from of Friday afternoon lacks that
> file.

Ermmm...."cygwin" ?  The "cygwin" package never has contained cygz.dll.
  The zlib package does.  "Cygwin" means two different things,
apparently. See below.

> I'm trying to help /you/ fix a problem with
> the Cygwin distribution.

There isn't a problem.  I just downloaded the zlib package manually from
ftp://mirrors.rcn.net/mirrors/sources.redhat.com/cygwin/latest/zlib/zlib-1.1.3-6.tar.gz

and unpacked it.  It contains usr/bin/cygz.dll

> The symptoms of that were (a)
> ssh failed to run, reporting a missing "CYGZ.DLL" and (b) the results
> of a "find" searched turned up no such files.

Then you didn't install the zlib package.

> I told you the problem I
> experienced with Cygwin, and my solution to it.  Use the information as
> you wish, but simply reporting back to me that my attempt to help you
> was wasted makes me less inclined to help in the future.

The problem is nomenclature.  "cygwin" means two things, depending on
context.  It means the "cygwin" package (that contains cygwin1.dll and a
few other executables), but it also means the entire cygwin distribution.

You apparently installed cygwin (1) and didn't get cygz.dll.  Then, you
reported this, but I interpreted your report to mean you installed
cygwin (2) and didn't get cygz.dll -- which was directly contradicted by
your cygcheck output.  (I missed the fact that you had manually
installed an old version of cgyz.dll)

I was trying to point out that you *did* have cygz, but that the problem
was a PATH issue.  (In my interpretation of your bug report, you never
were able to get ssh working at all.  Then you did not install the zlib
package. I did not realize that you were able to get ssh working AFTER
manually adding cygz.dll -- that little piece of information implies
that the problem was NOT a path issue.)

So, the answer to your bug report is: install the zlib package.  I
wonder if cygcheck should include a copy of /etc/setup/installed.db in
its output...

--Chuck