From: cygwin-owner@sources.redhat.com
[mailto:cygwin-owner@sources.redhat.com] On Behalf Of Gary Spivey
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2001 11:33 PM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Newbie: Proper?? method for running windows apps

Firstly, I am loving this whole cygwin idea. It is making my life a lot
easier as I continue waiting for our IT people to come up with a way for
me
to VPN from linux (we have some stupid Lucent brick thing that only
works
with its own windows client - no FreeSwan).

Anyway,

  I would like to be able to port my entire perl based app from windows
linux to Solaris. The problem I am having is that the tools in windows
exist
outside of the cygwin directories, but the perl programs and files that
are
being operated on exist within the cygwin directories. So, I get a
command
like this ...

link_to_windows_command   -optiona -optionb /home/file/inside/cygwin

Which results in a file not found from the windows executable. This
appears
to be happening because the windows command is running in the normal
windows
filesystem and can't find it.

Now it seems that this problem should have a rather simple solution, but
can't seem to find it. I don't know if I am suppose to be moving stuff
out
to windows and linking from cygwin, or doing something with the mounts,
The problem would be completely solved if windows and cygwin shared the
same
paths, but y'all don't seem to like that.

I can't seem to find solutions in the User's Manual or searching, but
that
is likely because I am overwhelmed by all of this at the moment.

Any help?

Cheers,
Gary
spivey@ieee.org