Re: Problem in gdb installation

> Yesterday I upgraded by cygwin installation, having previously
> installed a version back in November. I got the new setup.exe and
> copied it to C:\cygwin as setup-new.exe. I then ran it and downloaded
>various of the new/updated packages.

Ouch!  I imagine that would confuse setup.  You should have put setup.exe
anywhere but there - preferably in a new empty directory, or else wherever
you put it last November (as long as that wasn't C:\cygwin).

> I then reran it to install from the downloaded files, halfway through
> this whilst installing gdb (which I hadn't installed before), I got a
> message about moving cygwin out of the way.

Setup has a download repository (rooted where you put setup.exe) and
ain installation directory C:\cygwin by default).  My guess is that after
downloading all the new stuff, setup managed to rename its own directory
and then couldn't find its repository.  I doubt if this was gcc-specific.

> After this things rapidly deteriorated(!) and I got a large number
> of messages about not finding 'X' (usually a single  character) until I
> eventually killed off the install process.

Your best bet is to clear out everything from C:/cygwin except the new
cygwin.exe and the latest and contrib subdirectories, rename it
(eg C:/cygwindownload) and rerun setup.  It should find the
already-downloaded components (but will re-download its .ini file),
and will then build a brand new c:\cygwin for you.

-- Cliff