This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
RE: Cygwin Python Distribution GPL Licensing Issue?
- To: "Jason Tishler" <Jason dot Tishler at dothill dot com>
- Subject: RE: Cygwin Python Distribution GPL Licensing Issue?
- From: "Tim Peters" <tim dot one at home dot com>
- Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 01:10:01 -0400
- Cc: "DJ Delorie" <dj at delorie dot com>,<cce at clarkevans dot com>,<cygwin at sources dot redhat dot com>
> Hmm, I not sure how to interpret the above.
That's because I'm trying *not* to tell you what to do, only what I believe
are your options and some of the potentially thorny issues connected with
them. In the end, it's your call.
> Are you suggesting that I remove readline support from my Cygwin
> Python distribution?
No. But neither am I suggesting that you don't <wink>. I *believe* you're
in no real trouble either way; nor Python nor Cygwin either. That's why
these msgs are so sprawling: there's simply no killer argument in any
> BTW, it appears that I'm not the only packager who has stepped into this
> thorny issue:
Oh, not by a long shot! As I said, GNU readline is the FSF's GPL lightning
rod: it attracts trouble, and by intent. Hmm. There's another ploy in case
of trouble: plead entrapment <0.9 wink>.
readline-considered-an-attractive-nuisance-ly y'rs - tim
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple