"gcc -MM" ignores implicit function declarations, but "gcc -MMD" gives implicit function declaration errors

I'm trying to adapt a dependency builder that was using half gcc, half
homegrown tools to instead use straight "gcc".

I noticed that when I use "gcc -MM" (with appropriate "-D" and "-I"
options), it emits the dependencies on stdout (as I expect).  When I use
"gcc -MMD" instead, it correctly creates the "<sourcefile>.d" file, but it
also emits a compile error about an "implicit function declaration" (a
reference to "fileno").  When I use this in "make", it of course aborts the
build, even though it did everything correctly.  I could just use "-MM" and
just pipe the output to "<sourcefile>.d" (or set the "ignore" flag on the
rule), but it would have been nice to just use "-MMD" by itself.