Re: GL/gl.h in w32api

> > Is there any reason why the include files in the opengl package
> > shouldn't be moved to the w32api package?
> >

> Yes!  The opengl headers belong with the opengl package not the w32api
> package.  The maintainers of w32api don't maintain opengl and vice versa
> so we would never be able to complete a new distribution of the w32api
> package.

The mainainers of w32api do maintain a significant subset of opengl,
namely the libraries opengl32.a, libglaux.a, libglu32.a, libglut.a
and libglut32.a.  Indeed, listed in the noteworthy changes documentation
for w32api 0.1.2 is "Added the Win32 extensions for OpenGL".

Doesn't it seem strange that the entry points for the import libraries
and the headers describing them are maintained in different packages.
Microsoft include both the OpenGL headers and libraries in their WIN32
SDK.  And I'll guess that most other w32api libraries are described by
w32api header files.

I'd propose either that control of the OpenGL headers be transfered from
the opengl package to the win32api package, or that the w32api developers
maintain their own gl.h, glaux.h and glu.h to match those distributed by
Microsoft.

It would seem that the arguments against this are purely political.

Roger
--
Roger Sayle,                         E-mail: roger@metaphorics.com
Bioinformatics Group, Metaphorics,   WWW: http://www.metaphorics.com/