RE: ./configure problem

All,

I searched the archive for problems similar to mine, and I've seen a brief
blurb about problems with configure, but I'm not sure if I've found any
answers. For the past few days, configure scripts that have worked just fine
in the past are starting to error out when trying to build a test
executable. Output logs are at the end of this email.

I've tracked the problem down to a workaround in the default configure
script where the line

'echo > confdefs.h'

appears, apparently used to prevent an error under AIX. This line is a part
of the default configure boilerplate that autoconf generates. Commenting out
the line will allow configure to complete successfully.

With the line intact, my confdefs.h file looks as follows, after this error:

^@#define PACKAGE "foo"
#define VERSION "1.0"

So it appears that this echo command is sticking in something unwanted.
Unfortunately, I have been unable to write a shell script that will
reproduce the problem, but packages I've downloaded off the net have also
exhibited this behavior.

Christopher Currie

Outputs:

$ ./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for mawk... no
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for mawk... (cached) gawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.

$ cat config.log
This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:559: checking for a BSD compatible install
configure:612: checking whether build environment is sane
configure:685: checking for mawk
configure:685: checking for gawk
configure:715: checking whether make sets ${MAKE}
configure:843: checking for mawk
configure:875: checking for gcc
configure:988: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works
configure:1004: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
In file included from configure:999:
confdefs.h:1: parse error at null character
configure: failed program was:

#line 999 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

main(){return(0);}