RE: bash: difference between //c/ and c:/

Regarding my "ls: .: No such file or directory" problem I had posted a few
days ago:
When I cd to "//c", I can do 'ls' just fine.  When I cd to "c:/" I have the
above mentioned problem.  When I try to cd to "/cygdrive/c", it won't go
there as it says that there's no such file or directory.  Apparently it
doesn't recognize "/cygdrive".  However, when I do a 'mount', it shows the
mounts ok:
tmp@PCDEV1A /home
$ cd /cygdrive/c
bash: cd: /cygdrive/c: No such file or directory

tmp@PCDEV1A /home
$ cd c:

tmp@PCDEV1A c
$ ls
ls: .: No such file or directory

tmp@PCDEV1A c
$ cd //c

tmp@PCDEV1A //c
$ ls
BOOTSECT.DOS*            MSDOS.SYS*      System Volume Information/
BOOTSECT.F16*            NTDETECT.COM*   WINNT/
CONFIG.SYS*              PAGEFILE.SYS*   autoexec.bat*
Cygwin/                  PNPDRVRS/       boot.ini*
Documents and Settings/  PQ_PM40.PQB*    boot.ini~*
IO.SYS*                  Program Files/  ntldr*
Inetpub/                 RECYCLER/       temp/
Interix/                 Recycled/       vim/

tmp@PCDEV1A //c
$ mount
Device              Directory           Type         Flags
C:\cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            system       binmode
C:\cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            system       binmode
C:\cygwin           /                   system       binmode
tmp@PCDEV1A //c
$
Any ideas?  Thanks again for any help!

Scott Wallace