Re: bash: difference between //c/ and c:/

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 01:46:48PM +0100, Ralf Fassel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> cygwin-1.1.8-2.tar.gz
> bash-2.04-7a.tar.gz
>
> there is a subtle difference between c:/ and //c/
> compare the real execution times (this is for a local desktop bash
> (not via ssh)):
>
> bash$ time cd //c/
> real    0m0.050s
> user    0m0.000s
> sys     0m0.000s
>
> bash$ time cd c:/
> real    0m6.770s
> user    0m0.000s
> sys     0m0.000s
>
> bash$ mount
> Device              Directory           Type         Flags
> C:\cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            system       binmode
> C:\cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            system       binmode
> C:\cygwin           /                   system       binmode
>
> What's the deal with the LETTER:/PATH pathnames in bash?  Am I
> supposed to use //c/?  Is c:/ deprecated somehow?

Bash is a UNIX shell. Why not using UNIX paths? Actually not
C:/ is deprictaed but //c! The syntax is ambiguous since that
could also address a SMB server. We may decide to eliminate
that syntax for local drives completely in the future. Use
the /cygdrive/c syntax instead.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.