Re: SSHd permission problem

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 04:39:47PM +0100, Axel Kowald wrote:
> Hello Corinna,
>
> > Send output of ssh -v, please.
>
> This time I started sshd -d on the command line to get the debug output.
> For this I made a separate copy of the ssh_host_key files which is owned
> by me (kowald). Here is the output of ssh -v localhost and ssh -d :

I've seen this before.

If you read the openssh-2.5.1p2.README, you'll find:
->  - If you want to be able to login to different user accounts you'll
->  have to start sshd under system account or any other account that
->  is able to switch user context. Note that administrators are _not_
->  able to do that by default! You'll have to give the following
->  special user rights to the user:
->  "Act as part of the operating system"
->  "Replace process level token"
->  "Increase quotas"
->  and if used via service manager
->  "Logon as a service".

This means that SYSTEM has to start SSHD if you want to use password
authentication.  It's very simple, use the sshd -d to determine that your
configuration settings are correct.  Once you see the "user's password"
prompt, you're probably golden.  Then, set up SSHD (as described in the
readme) to start with either SRVANY or INETD under the SYSTEM context.  It
will most likely work.

Good luck,
-ME