Re: Stack Dump Problem

> On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 10:28:59PM -0500, Jason Tishler wrote:
> >David,
> >
> >On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 08:19:55AM -0800, David Highley wrote:
> >> Since upgrading my cygwin environment I get a stack dump when trying to
> >> run aspell from within vim. I have included the setup log file fragment
> >> of cygwin subsystems updated and the stack dump file.
> >
> >I found that replacing the cygwin1.dll with a post 1.1.8-2 version solved
> >my aspell stack dump problem (and others).  However, this is probably
> >not the best workaround since Chris has already indicated that the problem
> >appears to be with aspell itself.

I'm running the 1.1.8-2 version now and it still is happening.

> Hmm.  Did I miss an explanation for this?  The stack dump shows multiple
> levels of calls of a user program so I ass*u*me*d that this was not a Cygwin
> problem.

Aspell was invoked from gvim, not a cygwin version. Aspell stack dumps
when called directly. I would have had more information by now if I
could figure out how to invoke gdb to run the program with command line
arguments. I ran gdb with --help and then tried "-exec=/usr/local/aspell
-c --dont-backup README". Gdb runs but does not load the program or at
least no source code is found. If I run gdb and do a File->open for
aspell the program loads and source code is opened, but then there
appears to be no way to pass command line arguments with the debugger
run command.

I did try a later version of aspell and pspell, but had the same
results. By the way the latest, 12, pspell will not build on Solaris
platforms.

> Has this already been discussed?  Do we know why aspell works better with
> snapshots?  I have no problem with a workaround that involves moving forward
> and testing the snapshots.  Eventually one of those snapshots will be Cygwin
> 1.3.0.  It would be nice to see people trying them out.

I believe it to be a code problem in aspell or pspell that cropped up
due to changes in the cygwin.dll, but I need more data to prove this. I
will continue with the debugger route. I may have to hard code the
command parameters into the source code.

--

Regards,

David Highley
Highley Recommended, Inc.