Using gcc/ar to produce a library

I'm using gcc to compile c++ files and then using
ar (ar rv <object files>) to create a library because I needed
to use this library within the cpp code compiled use VC or BC.

VC is not recognizing the library and I cannot import the functions
on the other program. Is there any way to produce a windows like .lib
file using gcc and ar (or some other gnu tools?!).

Thanks.