Re: Broken stdio using sh.exe?

At 05:11 AM 3/6/2001, robert.jan.schutten@philips.com wrote:
>The problem:
>------------
>
>Using bash to read from stdin works as expected:
>
>schutten@PC6868 ~/tmp
>$ cat test.bin | ./readbin.bash
>61 62 63 64 1a 61 62 63
>
>Using sh to read from stdin stops after the ^Z (hex: 1a) character:
>
>schutten@PC6868 ~/tmp
>$ cat test.bin | ./readbin.sh
>4 bytes read, 8 expected

Actually, I thought bash had been changed to work like sh.  The "problem"
is sh (or ash in this case) reads stuff in textmode.  This allows it to not
trip over text mode input, which we see allot on Windows.  However, this
means that it interprets characters in text mode, with all the pitfalls.
^Z is an EOF in text mode.  Sorry, I don't have a solution for this problem.
NOTE - this response is not meant to open up the text vs binary mode debate
again.  Follow-up comments on this thread should keep this in mind.

Thanks!