debugging sshd as service

I am trying to run sshd as a service.  It is not working.
All the cygwin tools I have tried are working.  When
I run sshd from a command prompt, it works fine.
Starting sshd from the command line, I was able to
connect with ssh both locally and remotely.

If I use 'net start sshd', it says
    "The sshd service could not be started"
    "The service did not report an error"
    "More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534"

Using the 'services' control panel, it says:
    "Could not start the sshd service on Local Computer."
    "The service did not return an error."
    "This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service
error."

Anyway, I assume I have set up something wrong.
sshd sends its output to the syslog facility.
And from other messages in the e-mail archive, I guess
these go to the NT event log.  Nothing shows up in the log.

I made a syslog.conf, sending "*.*" to /var/log/messages,
and started syslogd but nothing showed up there.

Maybe it will work to have the service run 'bash test.sh'
with test.sh having
    exec > /trace.txt 2>&1
    env
    sshd -d (or strace sshd)

Any ideas about getting error message from sshd when it
is running as a service would be most helpful!

Thanks,
Brian Beuning

PS.  Some details about my setup.

This box has Windows 2000 with SP1.  I ran ssh-config
and then the new ssh-host-config.

I had an old cygwin (b20.1), but removed it from the PATH.
I did reboot after putting the new cygwin in the PATH (as suggested
by an article in the e-mail archive).

I set CYGWIN to ntsec, but it worked the same without this set.

I made a new user ID with the four capabilities (part of system,
change token, and ?) but my usual login already had those capabilities.
Neither my normal login nor the new one worked.  When I tried the
two logins I was careful to have the private key file ownership right.
With ntsec, the private keys were mode 600.

The shhd_config has RSAAuth and PasswordAuth enabled.