Re: newbie Q: umount?

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 08:43:25AM +0200, Jean Jordaan wrote:
> So today I said
>   $ mount -s c:/ /c
> and got a message saying 'mount: warning - /c does not exist.'

If you would have created /c by `mkdir /c' _before_ creating the
mount you hadn't got that message.

Short version:

	mkdir /foo; mount X:/bar /foo    (file completion works)
OR	mount -f ... /foo                (you don't care)

User mount:
	mount X:/bar /foo      <-->   umount /foo

System mount:
	mount -s X:/bar /foo   <-->   umount -s /foo

>   $ umount /c
> and
>   $ umount -s /c
> and get
>   umount: /c: No such file or directory

??? Sure? In both cases? The latter should work.

>   $ mkdir /c
>   mkdir: cannot make directory `/c': File exists

Sure. The mount point still exists here.

> Then I became reckless, and deleted the
>   HKLM|Software|Cygnus Solutions|Cygwin|mounts v2|/c
> registry key, and quit and restarted bash. Now the registry key has
> gone, but the mount point remains! It seems I'm completely missing
> something basic. Could someone please put me on the right track?

Some other Cygwin process still running? Inetd? Sshd?
As long as any other Cygwin process is running (aka the Cygwin DLL
is still loaded) removing the registry keys doesn't help.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.