This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: tar ball with illegal file names
- To: Dan Lipofsky <dlipofsky at kurion dot com>
- Subject: Re: tar ball with illegal file names
- From: Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd at yahoo dot com>
- Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 17:13:12 -0500
- CC: "'cygwin at cygwin dot com'" <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- References: <81CC73FC2FACD311A2D200508B8B88AA1ADB24@kurion_exch.kurion.com>
- Reply-To: Earnie Boyd <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
Dan Lipofsky wrote:
> I have a tar file which I made on a Linux machine.
> Some files inside that tar have names that are
> illegal on a NTFS filesystem: they contain
> a colon, questionmark, or double-quote. Is
> there anyway to extract these files on a Windows machine?
> Both cygwin's tar and winzip just try to extract
> under its original name and fail. I need a tool
> that will prompt me or modify the name or something.
tar --to-stdout -xf foo.tar foo:bar > foobar
P.S.: tar --help would have given a clue.
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Check out: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple