ncftp - works, but doesn't display any prompts

I just installed the latest version of ncftp using the cygwin setup program.
I love the program, and it seems to work fine, but I don't get any prompts
to make it clear I'm supposed to type. Here's a sample session, my input
preceded by "*":

[c:\]ncftp
NcFTP 3.0.2 (October 19, 2000) by Mike Gleason (ncftp@ncftp.com).
*dir
dir: must be connected to do that.
*open ttt
Resolving ttt...

Unknown host "ttt".

How do I get it to display ftp-type command prompts?

Richard Stanton