Re: "The PATH problem"

At 05:05 PM 1/12/2001, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > I'll chip in the profits from all the programs I've sold based on Cygwin....
> > Oops!  I guess I shouldn't have said that.  Now the GNU police will be
> > looking for me!;-)
>
>Jokes aside, there's no problem if you profit from selling
>cygwin-based programs (or even cygwin itself).  GNU only cares that
>the programs are modifiable and redistributable, not zero cost.

Yes. I want to thank DJ for pointing this out, since I was taking some
liberties with the notion of the GNU GPL license.  DJ has proven time and
again that he has a deep understanding of the GNU license and has been able
to put to rest more than one long debate on this list about its function
(merits, benefits, validity, etc are still subjects that show up here now
and again as debate topics though!;-))  I, for one, am glad to have
someone so well equipped in this area on this list.  For anyone not sure,
I do understand that the GNU GPL doesn't prohibit the sale of GNU GPL'd
software.  Also, I don't intend for this thread to open up some discussion
on the GPL.  Finally, I'd like to add that while I think it would be great
if we took up a collection so we could send Chris on a vacation (the original
comment that elicited my response), I haven't actually sold any software,
GNU GPL or otherwise, so I won't be able to contribute the profits to this
endeavor.  Sorry Chris!;-)