Re: why am I administrator?

On 10 Jan 2001, an entity purporting to be Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
[Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) <lhall@rfk.com>] wrote [regarding Re: why am I administrator?]

> This seems to come up allot.  Maybe we need an FAQ for this?

Yes! That we do. I have long been puzzled and am still confused about
this. How do I do what Earnie wrote in the previous msg:

[Earnie Boyd:]
> USER is set in the /etc/profile function by issuing the `id -un`
> command.  The id command gets it's name from the associated uid in the
> /etc/passwd file.
>
> I can also guess that you are in the local administrator group and
> logged on as a domain user.  Upon setup a /etc/passwd file is created
> from the local sid.  You need to add your domain sid for your user
> account.

I want to know if I can be another user without actually logging in to NT
as somebody else (I don't have anyone else using my machine and I
don't want the expenditure of disk space and perhaps loading / boot
additional time that I think this increased complexity might cause). I
would like to be a different user so that I can build certain packages in a
certain way -- logging to bash with a different env set up and ready to go.

I tried the same thing: I set "USER=soren" in my NT env but bash always
recognizes me only as "Administrator".

   soren