Emacs via Telnet - "standard input is not a tty".

On Wednesday 8 Nov 00, Tom Zerucha writes:
> I'm trying to run ntemacs using cygwin.  Everything else works fine,
> including vim, but I tried emacs -nw (no windows).  Without -nw it pops
> up a window.  With -nw, it works in a console window on the machine.
> But that doesn't work if I telnet in.  tty returns /dev/tty0, but
> src/dispnew.c doesn't think it is a tty (isatty() apparently says it
> isn't).

That's right, it doesn't work.  Bummer, eh?

> I can't recompile the nt version of emacs since that seems to require
> Visual C or something close - Most things tell me to check in
> etc/MACHINES for a supported configuration, but it won't take
> i[3-5]86-*-windowsnt even though it says it will.

FSF GNU Emacs has not been ported to Cygwin.  Efforts along this line
are occasionally discussed on the ntemacs-users list, not here.

> Can anyone point me at a precompiled version of emacs that will work via
> telnet?
>
> Or point me at a source tree and what to type to ./configure to get it
> to compile under cygwin?

The latest XEmacs 21.1 should build out of the box.  'xemacs -nw'
works in a cygwin telnet session.  That's as close as you can get, I'm
afraid.

(I will add this to the new 'remote login to Cygwin' section of the
FAQ I'm planning.)

Regards,
David