Re: sshd connection refused

csimstemplar@flashcom.net wrote:
> Hi Corinna,
> I have responded to both the mailing list and your email, to insure that the message gets past the mail daemon.

Please, try to avoid that. If the mail doesn't show up in the
mailing list after a serious amount of time, say an hour or so,
you can mail it to me, ok?

> I renamed the administrator account as johnl, this is a security trick, the  home directory listed in passwd for johnl is /bin/sh

Huh? That's a shell, no home directory. The home directory is the
field before the shell.

> Strangely echo $HOME yields:  /cygdrive/c/winnt/Profiles/Administrator
>
> is this a problem?

Shouldn't. sshd uses only the entry in /etc/passwd.

> Did you check
> the permissions of ~administrator/.ssh and subsidiary files?
>
> there is no file or directory named, ~administrator/.ssh
>
> should this have been created?

You started ssh-config once, so .ssh (a directory) should exist.
At least when you started ssh-config as john1.
You know what I mean by ~administrator? It's the home of the user
administrator. In you case it's the home of user john1.

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.
mailto:vinschen@redhat.com