new sh doesn't translate Unix-style paths for Perl?

There seems to be a problem in the new sh (1.1.x).  With the old sh, we were
able to invoke perl scripts directly:

VINCENTE$ sh
$ cd
$ pwd
/cygdrive/m
$ ./make-version-info.pl
make-version-info.pl: You must specify --filename

But the new sh doesn't seem to accept direct invocations in this style:

$ pwd
/cygdrive/m
$ ./make-version-info.pl
./make-version-info.pl: not found

This would be OK if we could invoke perl directly and then use the script as
an argument, and we can do this when the perl script is invoked with a
DOS-style path:

$ perl m:\make-version-info.pl
make-version-info.pl: You must specify --filename

but if you use a Unix style path, it doesn't work:

$ perl /m/make-version-info.pl
Can't open perl script "/m/make-version-info.pl": No such file or directory

Thoughts?
John