Re: Question if I may

Bret Jordan wrote:
> Nearly everything works fine.  I can connect from a workstation to the
> server and run the normal shell programs.  However when I try to run any
> command character programs, edit, pmon, emacs, vi, or anything that draws
> data to the command window it dies.  Usually the response is it just hangs
> the connection and sits there.  Then if I look at the actual process on the
> server it shows that the process xyz is running.   It is like it is trying
> [...]

You should use the Cygwin ports of that tools ("vim" from the base
distro for example) since most native Windows applications are not able
to deal with that socket oriented connection used by sshd. Windows
tools like `edit' are using the native Windows console commands most
of the time so they are only able to run in a standard console. While
you are connected to another machine, the communication is quite
different. And don't try to start GUI tools. This will not work, either.

Hope, that helps,
Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.