Re: telnetd & spelling

Michael Cook wrote:

> Hello,
>   How do I activate the telnet daemon? I have checked in my /etc/inetd.conf
> & it is uncommented, I have tried running it from the command line, but I
> get the error:
>
> /usr/sbin -> ./in.telnetd.exe
> ./in.telnetd.exe: getpeername: The descriptor is a file, not a socket

You can't start telnetd from command line by default since it requires a
connected socket on stdin and stdout.
Why did you copy your inetd file from some other system? It's in the
base distro as part of the inetutils package and might fit your needs
better. Telnetd knows nothing about that file. It's the config file for
inetd which starts telnetd. So you'll have to start inetd. There's a
_documentation_ (surprise) in /usr/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README.

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.
mailto:vinschen@cygnus.com