Display problems with cygwin

Hello there. I've recently been given the task of figuring out how to
securely remote admin a PC. I like cygwin, but I can not figure out the
terminal settings. If I use a program like VI, and try to edit a file, it
just sits there. I can put a line in, but I can not see whats in the file.
And if I try to ssh to another box, I get this error message

Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.
Host key not found from the list of known hosts.
You have no controlling tty.  Cannot read confirmation.

The only variables I've played with are TERM and CYGWIN. Am I on the right
track? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Chadd

Chadd M. Horanburg
Internet Security Systems
Managed Intrusion Detection Systems,
Intrusion Detection Technician
3000 Town Center Dr
Suite 1100
Southfield, MI 48075
P. 877-563-8739 F. 248-352-0301
choranburg@iss.net

Internet Security Systems - The power to protect